- PURPOSE OF THE EVALUATION
The exterior analysis will assess the programme’s contribution to assuaging struggling by an efficient and well timed humanitarian response throughout Northeast Syria (NES), particularly Ar Raqqa, Deir-ez-Zor, Aleppo and Al-Hasakeh. In doing so, the analysis’s function is for studying and accountability, particularly the analysis will assess the diploma to which the programme has achieved its supposed outcomes on the finish of the twelve months of implementation. This will likely be assessed by wanting on the prolonged DAC standards together with: programme relevance, appropriateness, effectiveness, protection, effectivity, influence, connectedness and coherence in addition to different related standards.
Supposed use of outcomes: The exterior analysis is initially an analysis that will likely be utilized by Concern Syria to enhance the implementation of the ECHO undertaking for 2023/2024. Nonetheless, the outcomes of the analysis also needs to be relevant for normal programme planning, design and implementation in NES. Furthermore, the findings may even contribute to knowledgeable decision-making, foster an setting of studying, promote larger understanding of humanitarian principled approaches within the undertaking areas whereas contributing in direction of the event of extra environment friendly and efficient undertaking improvement within the mission.
2. DESCRIPTION OF THE SOCIAL, ECONOMIC AND POLITICAL CONTEXT
The dimensions, severity and complexity of wants in Syria stay intensive. Because the battle -and safety disaster it caused-continues into its twelfth 12 months and the economic system collapses, the variety of folks in want is rising at an alarming charge. The variety of out-of-school youngsters has soared to 2.45 million with many extra vulnerable to dropping out and 18% of households in NES resort to little one labour to fulfill their primary wants. Lack of entry to secure water and sanitation companies -especially amidst the COVID-19 pandemic-continues to have an effect on the well being of many households. The continued devaluation of the Syrian pound and rising unemployment has diminished the buying energy of households who’re more and more unable to afford important items and companies. 9.3 million Syrians are actually meals insecure, a rise of 1.4 million within the final 6 months alone. 216,690 IDPs live in final resort websites in NES.
3. DESCRIPTION OF THE SUBJECT OF THE EVALUATION
The general goal of the ECHO-funded Multi-sector Built-in Emergency Preparedness and Holistic Programming Section VI is to proceed the availability of an built-in, multi-sectoral life saving emergency help by addressing intersectionality of wants of essentially the most susceptible folks in areas liable to battle, arduous to succeed in areas, and communities witnessing an inflow of IDPs with Schooling, Safety, WASH, Fundamental wants, SNFI and Emergency preparedness.
Particular Programme Aims:
- To assist conflict-affected youngsters to entry studying alternatives and to reintegrate into the formal faculty system with high quality schooling and secure and inclusive studying environments. The NFE intervention will present literacy, numeracy (LN) and Social Emotional Studying (SEL) classes to assist youngsters to (re)construct their confidence and abilities to combine into formal schooling.
- To scale back the safety dangers and enhance the wellbeing of kids, adolescents and, caregivers by the supply of group-based psychosocial assist (PSS). As well as, guaranteeing safety mainstreaming throughout all sectors.
- To proceed to enhance entry to and high quality of WASH companies by rehabilitating water stations and networks, water high quality mapping, responding to emergency water wants in camps and casual settlements, vector management, hygiene promotion. There will likely be a continued focus in Deir-ez-Zor, east and north line the place there stays to restricted entry and there continues to be vital infrastructure gaps.
- To deal with the fundamental wants of essentially the most acutely susceptible people unable to fulfill their most elementary wants who’re adapting damaging coping mechanisms to outlive, with six rounds of multipurpose money (MPCA) to present households flexibility and company in assembly their wants.
- To supply multi-sector assist to IDPs and returnees dwelling in camps, casual settlements and broken /unfinished buildings by NFI, Shelter and winterization actions. Concern will give attention to rehabilitating insufficient non-public shelters with susceptible IDP or returnee households.
- To reply to any new emergency resulting in displacement and urgent humanitarian wants by the availability of MPCA underneath a Catastrophe Danger Discount (DRR) mechanism with PIN.
4. OBJECTIVES OF THE EVALUATION
The sub-objectives of the analysis contributing to the training and accountability are as follows:
- Assess, in an evidence-based method, the effectiveness, protection and effectivity of the programme’s elements and implementation methods towards programmes aims and assess influence
- Present understanding of the relevance and appropriateness of the programme
- To evaluate the connectedness and coherence of the programme
- Seize classes discovered and make sensible focused suggestions to information future programming
The exterior evaluators will develop an in depth workplan outlining the scope of the analysis and sampling method that covers the governorates by which Concern is implementing the response interventions. It will information the evaluators work, and in flip their method will contain the evaluation of assorted sources of knowledge together with programme paperwork, stories and monitoring knowledge. Consultations with programme beneficiaries, exterior stakeholders and Concern programme employees will adhere to COVID-19 pointers. By the tri-angulation of each quantitative and qualitative knowledge, programme outcomes and consultations with stakeholders (inner and exterior), the evaluators will present an indicative information for sensible suggestions and learnings. The evaluator shall suggest a technique with complete sampling design knowledgeable from the evaluate of program paperwork. The workplan, together with timelines for reporting, and methodology will likely be submitted for approval within the type of an abbreviated inception report previous to knowledge assortment.
Within the occasion there’s a change within the context arising from COVID-19 or safety concerns, or in any other case, the evaluator will likely be ready to adapt elements of the analysis to a desk evaluate and undertake distant key informant interviews, as required. Moreover, the evaluator will rent a essential native and worldwide staff to assist with knowledge assortment and FDG or KII, as related. The analysis staff will clarify to all taking part stakeholders that they’re underneath no obligation to take part within the analysis examine. All individuals will likely be assured that there will likely be no damaging penalties in the event that they select to not take part. The analysis staff will acquire knowledgeable consent from the individuals. The analysis staff will guarantee the individuals’ anonymity and confidentiality and can guarantee the information is protected and used for agreed functions solely. Specifically, the analysis staff will make use of sturdy knowledge safety measures to additional guarantee individuals’ confidentiality and anonymity.
Proposed steps based mostly on change in context:
- Evaluator drafts FGD instruments for interview with programme individuals
- Evaluator drafts KII instruments for interviews with inner (i.e. programme and system colleagues) and exterior stakeholders (i.e. authorities and cluster coordinators).
- Evaluator evaluations all programme paperwork and knowledge
- Evaluator compiles full report
The analysis will goal to evaluate the Programme based mostly on the prolonged OECD DAC standards of relevance, appropriateness, effectiveness, protection, effectivity, influence, connectedness and coherence. The important thing questions underneath these standards (see under) are of specific curiosity to Concern and due to this fact, whereas not exhaustive, ought to be included within the evaluate. The analysis is predicted to reply the questions in an evidence- based mostly method utilizing each qualitative and quantitative knowledge, to notice and spotlight variations between the implementation methods and programme elements by way of their general effectiveness and relevance. Cross chopping themes e.g. equality, safety, battle sensitivity, undertaking participant safety, gender and advocacy ought to be taken into consideration all through the analysis. The analysis will decide the explanation why sure outcomes occurred or not to attract classes, derive good practices and pointers for studying. It should present evidence- based mostly findings to tell operational and strategic decision-making. Findings will likely be actively disseminated, and classes will likely be included into related lesson sharing programs.
An in depth methodology together with knowledge assortment instruments for interviews will likely be proposed by the exterior evaluator to permit the views of all stakeholders to be mirrored. All monitoring knowledge utilised for the analysis ought to be disaggregated by gender, age and another related standards, the place attainable.
Key questions ought to embrace:
Prolonged DAC standards:
Relevance: assessing whether or not the undertaking is consistent with native wants and priorities (in addition to donor coverage)
- What was the extent of participation of beneficiaries and different stakeholders all through the programme cycle? How efficient was the complaints response mechanism system?
- What examples of programmes of programme adaption occurred based mostly on engagement with beneficiaries?
- How have been the wants of various susceptible teams (with consideration of gender, age and folks with disabilities) met?
- Have been the programme outcomes related, applicable and strategic to the targets of the Cluster, authorities, donor and Concern?
Appropriateness: the tailoring of humanitarian actions to native wants, growing possession, accountability, and cost-effectiveness accordingly.
- How are the mechanisms for monitoring modifications arrange? How has the programme adjusted to altering wants similar to timelines, program design or finances re-alignments?
- How was the ECHO safety mainstreaming rules successfully utilized all through the programme cycle?
Effectivity: measures the outputs – qualitative and quantitative – achieved because of inputs.
- How may the programme resourcing for personnel and inputs have been extra environment friendly?
- How have been sectors redirected/tailored in response to outcomes of on- going consultations, modifications in safety and routine M&E? For instance was data shared to tell programme administration and decision-making?
- Have been the output measurement mechanisms and instruments efficient to ship the outcomes successfully? For instance, did the undertaking obtain its deliberate outputs on the deliberate timeline?
Effectiveness: measures the extent to which an exercise achieves its function, or whether or not this may be anticipated to occur on the idea of the outputs. Implicit inside the criterion of effectiveness is timeliness. Different parts want to incorporate coordination
- What steps have been taken to handle problems with inequality and guarantee wants of most marginalised (gender and incapacity lens) have been taken on board throughout implementation and monitoring?
- What was the end result of programme studying from the group and neighboring communities, native authorities and different CBOs/(I)NGOs?
- How did the actions result in the specified outcomes? Did the programme have any unintended and sudden penalties, and in that case have these been addressed within the programme and the way?
Protection: includes figuring out who was supported by humanitarian motion, and why.
- What have been the primary causes the programme supplied or failed to supply inhabitants teams with help/safety, proportionate to their want?’
Influence: considers wider results of the undertaking – social, financial, technical, environmental – on people, communities and establishments. Will be supposed/unintended, optimistic/ damaging, macro/ micro
- How has the programme achieved the supposed influence (long term aim)? why or why not?
- What are the optimistic and damaging impacts of the programme interventions on people/communities, and the way can the damaging impacts be mitigated in future interventions?
- How does the intervention influence fluctuate amongst totally different teams of individuals (gender – age – folks with incapacity) and areas?
- What are the important thing lesson discovered from the intervention?
Connectedness: refers to wish to make sure short-term emergency actions take longer-term and interconnected issues into consideration.
- How did the Programme hyperlink outcomes to longer-term sustainability together with with different Concern and associate interventions in reduction/restoration/improvement? If not, why not?
Coherence: ‘The necessity to assess safety, developmental, commerce and navy insurance policies, in addition to humanitarian insurance policies, to make sure that there’s consistency and, particularly, that every one insurance policies keep in mind humanitarian and human-rights concerns.’
- Was the programme knowledgeable by and aligned with the basic humanitarian rules, SPHERE / INEE Minimal Requirements, Battle-Delicate Schooling Tips and Strategy to Safety paper?
- Was the intervention carried out in co-ordination with others, and what was the extent to which the intervention added worth whereas avoiding duplication of effort?
6. EXPECTED OUTPUTS AND DELIVERABLES
An abbreviated inception report, detailing methodology, workplan and timelines for submission and evaluate.
A primary draft of the Analysis report with an govt abstract and clear suggestions (full much less appendices) for remark from Concern Syria inside 1 week of concluding interviews.
A full ultimate draft of the Analysis report, integrating the suggestions obtained inside one week of receiving consolidated suggestions on the draft report.
The report, in English, ought to be 10-15 pages lengthy with out appendices and ought to be submitted in digital format (Phrase or PDF) to the nation programme and Desk Officer, and RD and embrace the next sections:
- Government Abstract (most 2 pages)
- Transient context and outline of the intervention
- Presentation of analysis methodology and any limitations encountered
- Presentation of foremost findings, conclusions and proposals in relation to the factors in Sections 4 & 5 of this ToR, utilizing graphs, charts and tables the place applicable
- Suggestions with a powerful give attention to the broader classes discovered for Concern to enhance future emergency multi-sector programme planning and implementation.
- Scoring towards the prolonged DAC standards
- Annexes: together with ToR, listing of individuals/teams consulted, interview frameworks/questionnaires and instruments
7. ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Concern Syria will likely be answerable for:
Approval of the ultimate analysis plan, instruments and methodology
Offering related documentation to the inner evaluator on the programme actions and an preliminary briefing on the response in addition to expectations of this analysis
Provision of well timed suggestions to the inner evaluator on first draft of report
Communication of outcomes of the analysis to key stakeholder teams within the applicable languages
The Exterior evaluator will likely be answerable for:
- Creating methodology and analysis plan for approval by Concern Syria outlining anticipated sources of knowledge
- Conducting interviews with beneficiaries, stakeholders and Concern employees
- Information compilation and evaluation
- Report writing together with finalisation in response to suggestions supplied.
- Presentation of draft findings to senior Concern employees, CD, PD and Programme Coordinators and Managers
The report would be the mental property of Concern. Its content material ought to be shared with third events solely with Concern’s consent. Sensitivities to confidentiality will must be revered. Names and identifiable knowledge related to any specific quotes or experiences shouldn’t be cited.
8. LINES OF COMMUNICATION
The exterior evaluator will report back to the Programme Director and work carefully with the MEAL Coordinator.
9. BUDGET AND TIMEFRAME
Concern will consider exterior evaluators proposals each for technical power in addition to finances justification. It’s anticipated that the work will contain a most of 24 days of labor
Exterior Evaluator (tentative time allocation topic to evaluator work-plan):
Briefing and background studying and preparation of instruments and methodology (2 days)
Drafting of abbreviated inception report (1 day)
Overview and approval of abbreviated inception report (2 days)
Inner and Exterior interviews (9 days)
Evaluation and compiling of draft analysis report (5 days)
Debrief/presentation of findings (nation staff and HQ) upon completion of draft (! day)
Full ultimate report (4 days)
Whole: 24 days
The analysis will happen in September/October of 2023. The agreed ultimate report inclusive of all suggestions to be accomplished no later than 30 October 2023.
11. DOCUMENTS WHICH WILL BE SHARED
- Closing programme proposal together with the modification requests.
- Programme stories and knowledge (donor, technical, M&E and many others)
- Budgets and expenditure stories
12. ESSENTIAL EXPERIENCE
Expertise of conducting evaluations of ECHO Multi Sectoral programmes
· Technical experience related to the Multisector programme, of Schooling, Safety, MPCA, FLER, WASH and SNFI.
· Expertise of qualitative knowledge assortment strategies, together with participatory approaches and expertise of knowledge assortment within the area.
· Capability to evaluate the standard of programmatic knowledge assortment programs, analyse budgets, outcomes frameworks, M+E stories and surveys, and different paperwork.
· Expertise of writing analysis stories to a excessive customary, in English
· Expertise of working as a part of an agile staff
Expertise inside the Syrian Response
· An understanding of results-based administration approaches.
The best way to apply
To use, please submit your expression of curiosity to email@example.com, entitling the e-mail ‘Exterior Analysis of Concern’s Multi-Sector Emergency Response in Syria (Section 6) – Software’
All expressions of curiosity should embrace the next:
- Transient rationalization concerning the applicant with specific emphasis on their earlier expertise in associated areas;
- Detailed CV of the Advisor which has three contactable referees. (Contact particulars should be the work electronic mail addresses of the referees. Private electronic mail addresses won’t be accepted).
- Understanding of TOR although proposal (no more than 5 pages) clearly displaying how all of the elements within the TOR will likely be met, together with a provisional schedule setting out the time allotted to every deliverable.
- Connect at the least one pattern of comparable earlier work.
- The monetary proposal ought to present price estimates for companies if paid as lump sum or as each day consultancy charges and another essential prices.
Please observe the next:
1. Profitable candidates should be ready to signal and cling to Concern Worldwide’s Code of Conduct and Related Insurance policies together with safety procedures for Northeast Syria.
2. The profitable applicant should be eligible for a visa to enter Kurdish Area of Iraq.
3. Destructive assessments for the next will likely be required by the nation authorities: HIV, Hepatitis A and Hepatitis B. The profitable candidate should be ready to endure this testing and should safe damaging assessments.